The house at the corner of 4th and Bridges street in Morehead City, now Floyd’s 1921 Restaurant, was built as a private residence in 1921 for Joseph Cleophas Long and family. Mr. Long was the Manager of a lumber business in the area and was associated with the Morehead City Manufacturing Company. The old saw mill was located directly behind this house.
His home was a gracious one, in traditional Southern style. His wife Susan Emma (known as “Sudie”, and to others as “Miss Emma”) was a descendant of the prominent Bell family of Carteret County. She saw to it that the home was well decorated and the four children well dressed, ordering the latest fashions on occasion to be delivered by boat from New Bern.
The house is remembered by many Morehead students as the home of the eldest daughter, Ola Sudie Long. “Miss Ola” was a devoted teacher, primarily of the 5th grade, who never married but lived out her life here in her parents home. Her brother, Ira Clinton Long, became a medical doctor and had his own home by the time this house was built for his father. Shortly after moving here, one of Miss Ola’s sisters, Marie Emma Long, began planning her wedding. In 1923 she married Luther Hamilton, who served multiple terms in the North Carolina State Legislature. The baby sister, Ruth Elaine Long, was still a little girl when her parents brought her to this new home. Years later, she married Zeb Grantham of New Bern, who was a musician.
But townsfolk know it was “Miss Ola” who lived here for a quarter century. Morehead City Graded School had first opened it’s doors in the Fall of 1908, the same year that Joseph Long moved his family from the Harlowe community to their first home in Morehead City. Miss Ola, a graduate of Louisburg College, began her teaching career in the new school that very year. A few years later, in 1921, the family moved into their new home on Bridges Street. Miss Ola continued teaching in Morehead for 37 years, retiring in 1945 because of illness.
She is remembered for her gentleness and patience with generations of Morehead City youth.